Please come and share your ideas and contribute to a meeting at the village hall on Tuesday 15 February at 7pm to start planning for whatever it is Wing villagers would like to do to celebrate Her Majesty, the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. The meeting will be hosted by Sally Cox, acting chair of the village hall management committee, Alice Hill, Church warden for St Peter and St Paul, Wing, and Susannah Fish, parish councillor.
Attached are two letters from Dr Sarah Furness, Rutland’s Lord Lieutenant, which are self-explanatory, who is sharing ideas for the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. She has identified a number of ideas that may inspire you. These suggestions are neither exhaustive nor prescriptive and we can obviously develop our own ideas to suit our community.
Her suggestions are:
· Community Decoration – Week of 23-27 May 22. The intent is to promote the decoration of towns and villages with bunting and flags as well as to encourage retail and leisure outlets to dress windows in Platinum Jubilee themes.
· Beacon Lighting – Thursday 02 Jun 22. The aim is to promote the lighting of as many beacons as possible across the county and encourage youth participation. That could include lantern walks and a piper or trumpeter playing prior to firing the beacons (9.15pm) which would be followed by social gatherings with drinks and nibbles if appropriate. In the preceding weeks, there may be the opportunity for schools to discuss The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, her remarkable reign and her service to the Nation and Commonwealth.
· Music Night – Friday 03 Jun 22. There may be a window of opportunity to hold music events in Oakham, Uppingham and parishes on Friday afternoon and early evening. Central to this was the idea of ‘Music in the Park’ or ‘Music Night’, which could draw on previous experiences and could include youth dance demonstrations and arts and crafts displays.
· Hospitality Venues. Pubs, clubs and restaurants could be encouraged to screen the televised national celebrations and promote Platinum Jubilee themes. Perhaps even a ‘Jubilee Brew’ or tipple.
· Services of Thanksgiving – Sunday 05 Jun 22. Early indications are that the Church of England will conduct special services on that Sunday. It is hoped that a formal service will be held at All Saints Oakham and that services of celebration will also take place in the many beautiful parish churches across our county.
· The Big Lunch – Sunday 05 Jun 22. This is the biggest and single most important event to celebrate The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and should promote vibrant communities in Rutland. The intent is to encourage all localities to celebrate the Jubilee with self-help street parties in an affordable and accessible manner bringing individuals, families and communities together. It should be above all a happy celebration of The Queen’s reign and the joys of being part of a wider Commonwealth of nations and peoples.
· The Queen’s Green Treen Canopy – see attached letter
In addition, the Rutland Show will be on Saturday 04 Jun 22. It has been confirmed that it will promote a strong Jubilee theme.
Looking forward to seeing you then with some great ideas.
As usual in these times, please do not attend if you have COVID19 symptoms, and please Lateral Flow Test (plenty in the village hall) before the meeting and do not attend if you test positive. Many thanks.