Wing Historic House Badly Damaged By Fire


An historic thatched property has been damaged after a fire broke out in the chimney and spread to the roof.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the blaze in Top St, Wing, at 6.19pm on Thursday, December 15.

Crews from Uppingham, Birstall, Melton Mowbray, Wigston and Lutterworth fire stations were sent to the scene. They were supported by colleagues from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service, alongside a Red Cross emergency support vehicle.

Firefighters spent several hours tackling the blaze – both from the ground and from a hydraulic ladder.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire began in a chimney before spreading to a thatched roof at the back of the property, which dates back to the 17th century.

An eyewitness said “the flames were very intense – it was a shocking thing to see.” Luckily nobody was injured during the fire.

by Jon Sandall


The last fire tender left the scene at 4:30 pm on Friday, 22 hours after the first call. Due to the duration of the incident nearly 80 firemen were involved in shifts in subduing the fire and making the site safe.

On Friday afternoon many of the nearby properties were visited by officers from the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service to check on their preparedness for such an incident and to fit modern smoke alarms to the properties which didn’t have them or which were old and inefficient.

Comments?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s