From David Wood, the new High Sheriff of Rutland:
As my Declaration had to be held privately, I was unable to outline my objectives and plans for my shrieval year which the letter now attempts to do.
Besides my responsibilities as High Sheriff in supporting the judiciary, police and emergency services, I also want to focus on two key objectives:
The first is to support those suffering from rural poverty be it financial, loneliness or isolation. Rutland is a comparatively wealthy county but there are many people who are in need which has been exposed even more due to Covid 19. There are many wonderful volunteers and organisations who are helping these people and I would very much like to meet these helpers to thank them by recognising and showing support for their efforts.
The second objective is to visit all the villages in Rutland as well as our towns of Oakham and Uppingham with two things in mind – firstly to find out how everyone has coped during this difficult time and to meet members of the community (particularly those referred to above) but also to see how they are addressing the challenge of climate change with initiatives to conserve biodiversity and sustainability – in their gardens, meadows, hedgerows and verges, allotments and churchyards. This will tie in with the Council initiative “Future Conversations” and the work that we are doing at Rutland Agricultural Society of which I am Chairman. At the end of the year, I will take great pleasure in awarding a tree to three of the most inspirational villages.
These visits will be very informal. If you would like to act as a guide to introduce me around your village, please let me know by my email email@example.com .
In terms of events and key dates, we will have to see how lockdown and Covid plays out during the year. However, some of my plans are:
- Jeffy and I hope to hold an event to meet as many people as possible.
- On July 11th There is the Farming and Food Festival on the Rutland Showground
- There will be a Justice Service this year at All saints Oakham – probably in the autumn.
- If conditions permit a fund-raising Choral Concert in All Saints Oakham Parish Church on Saturday October 9th.
- I have real ambition to hold a Christmas lunch in the pavilion at the Rutland Showground for approx. 120 people who are in need and might otherwise be alone at Christmas.